Today I came across a Drupal 7 site that had originally been installed with the CiviCRM Starter Kit installation profile but had never used, nor was planning to use, the CRM capacity in the future. The site was having some random outages when a user would try to save or update a node. Having worked with CiviCRM and Drupal previously, I have seen cases where either there just wasn't enough memory, or CiviCRM hadn't been installed correctly which may have been the underlying issue here. Seeing that the site did not need the features of CiviCRM, I decided a simple solution would be to uninstall it. The problem, though, was that it was integrated in the profile. Now, even though I have worked with Drupal for a number of years, I have never uninstalled a profile. Here are the steps I followed to successfully uninstall the CiviCRM Starter Kit profile and set the website to the standard Drupal installation profile.
- I put the site into maintenance mode. There will be several minutes where it will not be completely accessible, so better to be safe than sorry.
- The profile was set to 'standard' using Drush
$ drush vset --exact -y install_profile standard
- I updated the database with a query so that the standard profile became available
UPDATE system SET schema_version = 0 WHERE name = 'standard';
- In this instance, there were many contributed modules located in /path/to/profiles/civicrm_starterkit/modules/contrib/ that I was already using like 'Views' and 'CTools.' I moved these to the /path/to/sites/all/modules/contrib/ folder via command line.
$ mv /path/to/profiles/civicrm_starterkit/modules/contrib/views /path/to/sites/all/modules/contrib/views
- Once all these steps were complete, I cleared the cache using drush
$ drush cc all
Thankfully, this alleviated site's problems, and I can now say I have successfully uninstalled a Drupal Installation Profile.
Many thanks to Dave Hall's article here: http://davehall.com.au/blog/dave/2012/09/12/switching-installation-profi...